Labels

Saturday, December 25, 2010

A Merry Huggy Christmas!

The kids are busy, nicely taking turns playing their new Wii (thanks Mommy and Daddy.... purchased in California in June....snuggled through three countries and hid for six months) Mario Karts (thanks Uncle Brent and Auntie Glenda).
Soon they are going to try out Mouse Trap from Family Game Night (thanks Uncle Chris and Auntie Val).

I just finished making potato salad (Eric's tradition) and we have, for the second year in a row moved meat fondue (my family's tradition) to Maddy's birthday - tomorrow.
I think that just might be our new tradition.

I listened to Amy Grant's Christmas Album (my personal fav.) while peeling eggs.

Sleigh Ride came on and I started laughing, thinking of my sister Kim.
I always think of her when I sing or hear that song.
"... as we pass around the vodka and the puuump-kin pie"
I don't remember why we started singing it that way, but it makes me laugh every time.

Then Heirlooms came on and I thought of my sister Jann.
We sang that song at church and family gathers I don't know how many times.
Then I started crying.
Not just tearing up - but crying.

Miss my family.
I know I am with my family, but I miss my family I grew up with type family.

In spite of my current sadness and missing-them-ness, it has been a wonderful Christmas so far.
Like never before I have been experiencing what it really means to be the mom and cook until you drop to try to make Christmas special for everyone.
And I love it.
I'm exhausted, but I love it.

Now, however, I am blogging, and relaxing and enjoying watching my wonderful kids and husband play their little hearts out.

Opening gifts was a hug-fest.
Love that.

Whether it be with a new stuffed animal....

or a sibling......
everyone was so grateful and sweet.
Lucy was a little put out that her only gift from us was a family gift of Wii....
that is, until she started bowling.
Then she rapidly changed her mind.
She's a good little bowler!

The kids, of course, discovered their stockings
(notice Cade's "coal"?)
and gifts from Santa
before we (Eric and I) were awake.
But we heard the enthusiasm.

Santa hung their new boogie boards (perfect timing for our beach trip on Monday) from the curtain rod.
That Santa's one crazy dude.

Their stockings contained:
glow-in-the-dark yo-yos
silly putty
chocolates
a beach/sand shovel
lip gloss for the girls, plastic animals for Cade
a notebook
markers
and
a personal jar of Nutella.... yup, one for each child!

Even not being with our family and friends
even with being in a country where the prices are ridiculously expensive
even with out the snow
Christmas is wonderful.

Perhaps that is because no matter who we are with
where we are
how much or little money we have
what the climate is
Christ is the Same.

He still came.
He still saved us.
He is still with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment