Labels

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Oh, Narnia, I love you

This really doesn't have anything to do with our life and work in Ecuador.
Is that okay?

One of the greatest pleasures I have each day is reading to my kids. Especially reading chapter books.
I love the time together, snuggling up and getting into a good story line.... ending a chapter right before bed, wondering what is going to happen in the story when we read the next day. Love it.
Mia and I just starting reading The Chronicles of Narnia. The best books in the whole wide world, as far as I'm concerned. In fact, that is why I wanted to name Lucy, Lucy. I know I have read the whole series through at minimum 12 times and I think that is a modest estimate. And it is great because I have four kids! I've read them to Maddy twice already (she has officially outgrown the mom-reading-to-me-before-bed-stage... sniff, sniff). But if I read it to each kid twice through - that is definitely six more times I get to read them - out loud.
And there is nothing like reading it out loud. I'd read it out loud to myself but my family already has enough concern over my level of sanity. I don't get all crazy trying to give each character their own voice or anything nutty like that, but I feel it more when it is voiced.
I'm thinking that if maybe we have two more kids or so, I can get another good three to four readings out of the deal. Good idea, right?
The stories are just sumptuous. Scrumpdilliumptious, even. No matter what age you are - they are just darn good reading.
Just a warning: Some day I might just go off about how recent publishers have changed the order of the books to be chronological. No, no, no!!! That is not how they are supposed to be read... but that is another whole topic.
But then the whole thing of the spiritual significance. Oh my goodness, could it be better? Love the pictures of Christ through Aslan. There is a very good chance that in the next few months (or however long it takes us to get through them) you would be reading a great deal about these books.
Today we read (from The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe) chapter eight, where they first introduce Aslan. Susan asks if Aslan is safe and says "I shall feel rather nervous about meeting a lion." Mrs. Beaver replies with "if there's anyone who can appear before Aslan without their knees knocking, they're either braver than most or else just silly." And Mr. Beaver says "'Course he isn't safe. But he's good. He's the King, I tell you."
That is God. And if we don't have our knees knocking when we meet Him, or think of meeting Him, I think we are just plain stupid. We must not really get who He is.
He isn't safe. I mean, in terms of Him being our Refuge, our Protector, our Shield and Comforter, yes, He is more "safe" than we can imagine - if we belong to Him. We are safe to be real and honest with Him. But I think I, along with the vast majority of the world, have a way way too cavalier attitude/picture of Him. We don't fear Him, and that is a scary place to be. In many ways, God isn't safe. If we don't claim our forgiveness under Christ - we are not safe at all. If we don't regard His ways and Holiness, safety should be one of the furthest things in our mind. His judgement is just, but safe? Hmmm, I don't think so.
I'm sure many people are very uncomfortable with talk like this as the word "safe" is exactly what they think that God should be. And again, keep in mind how He is safe. But I think mostly people aren't comfortable with this talk is because we just want to talk about His love, His mercy, His grace, the gifts that He gives and how amazing it is that we can have a relationship and friendship with Him.
It always comes back to balance in my books. We have to hold both in equal view. We can't focus on either. God is like the ultimate Father (well, not just like him, He IS the Ultimate Father). The best kind of father plays with his kids, laughs with them, talks with them and shows his love for them by enjoying them and allowing them to fully enjoy him. But the best kind of father also wants to train their child to be a responsible, respectable adult. The best kind of father wants to keep their child from danger, not necessarily from pain, but from damaging danger. So that father disciplines when needed. And when the child disobeys, they are afraid to have their dad find out. Their knees knock together, so to speak, because of the respectful fear. They don't feel safe in many ways. And if the child has complete disregard for their father - trouble! Yet the child of the best kind of father would know, deep down, that they are safe because they are sure of their father's love for them.
If the father just instills fear in their child - bad. If the father just plays and talks with their child - bad. Both are needed.
And both are ultimately found in our Ultimate Father.
In the end, I kind of feel like Peter, who says about meeting Aslan "I'm longing to see him, even if I do feel frightened when it comes to that point."




No comments:

Post a Comment