Labels

Sunday, August 22, 2010

kitty adventure

Maddy has been begging for a kitten for quite some time now. It actually started before we left Costa Rica... but that didn't really seem like a great time to get a new animal. For some strange reason, she couldn't understand that....
She is really good at thinking about the present.
Only.

Well finally the father figure gave the go ahead. He must of softened up at the hospital. Maybe Maddy slipped him something in his IV.

I figured that it would be a good idea to get all the needed stuff first and then get kitty the next day (being today). Logically, yes?
One would think.
But then one would be wrong.
So today we head out again after church (btw - We walked to the mall yesterday, and again today. Loving that - beautiful weather, great exercise). We went to the pet store. I asked about prices, gender, immunizations (yes, all in Spanish..... I'm getting there) and then Maddy picks out a horribly cute, fluffy, orange girl kitty and says "Hi Nolly" and starts cuddling her, happy as a.... a girl and her new kitten. I go up to pay for Nolly after a while (Maddy is playing and cuddling with her). THEN, after a good 5 minutes, the lady tells me that she just remembered that "Nolly" was already sold to someone else.
No more kitty.
So we take a taxi to another mall.
They had some very fluffy kittens there. Very cute, too.
$400 Persians.
No thanks.
So they call another store, they have "common" cats and we walk there.
They are cats, not kittens. Not fluffy either.
So we catch a taxi to head home.
I figured I could ask the taxi driver about a pet store. Yes, he knows of one.
We drive there. No pet store anymore.

Once we arrive home, drink some water, comfort my daughter, have Lucy trample on me for a bit, I remember that there is a pet store within walking distance from our house. So off we go again....
Well, there is a pet store where I thought, but it was closed. The kids ask about it, so I go to the door and read the sign, pointing to it.... the sign says that it is open Monday through Saturdays. As I point, I accidently touch the gated door and set off the alarm.
A very loud alarm.
Very loud.
We left.
Quickly.

Yes, the whole kitten thing has been quite an adventure.

So if you are reading this post, please pray for a cute, cuddly, fluffy, playful yet snugly, girl kitten (and cheap, while you are at it) and quick!

Oh, I forgot.
Yesterday, after we got the stuff for the kitten (including an aluminum tray as a litter box and a kitchen utensil for a pooper-scooper), we took a taxi home. At a stop light, a lady, selling dogs, reaches in the taxi window to me, holding a little puppy.
She asks $20 for it.
I say no thanks.
She asks $5.
I say no thanks.
(Now, I have been begging for a dog.... just not one like that. But the dogs I want are $200, so this would have been a great deal.... and of course, it being a puppy, it was quite adorable.)
She says "regalo", which means "gift".
I look at her in shock.
She starts to let go of the puppy ..... yes, just about dropping it in the taxi, right as the light turns green and the taxi pulls away.
She quickly pulls her arm out, including the dog.

I'm a little, okay, scratch that, a lot sad about the whole incident.
I'm pretty sure she was selling (or giving) the dog so cheap because it was sick (it looked very droopy) and/or she couldn't sell it and now would have had to feed it. Feeding it is an expense. An expense she probably didn't want.
While it may not have made a certain someone in my family very happy, I wish she would have dropped the puppy in my lap.
Now the puppy might not ever have a home or food...
or a life.
But I really can't think about that.

1 comment:

  1. What are you guys looking for? There are several pet shops near our house with kitties. Perhaps I could scope them out for you.

    ReplyDelete