Labels

Sunday, January 16, 2011

fancy scarf from a pair of old longjohns

Casa G.
(for anyone who is staring blankly at that....
it is the boys home we work with - former street guys)
has had a lot of clothes donated throughout the years.
While the donations are greatly needed and appreciated, there is a lot of junk that comes too.
Or some stuff that just wouldn't be used.
Like long johns, for example.
- also known as long-underwear -
for those who may not have grown up in Canada and called them by their proper name.

It can get a little cool here, but nothing like the weather needed for long johns.

I can honestly say that I have never salivated nor lusted after a pair of long johns -
until now.
As soon as I saw them, we connected, those long johns and I.
They were yelling at me "please make me into a beautiful scarf".
Don't laugh - I heard them.
You weren't there.

I didn't take a picture of them as they were - they were too embarrassed by their forlorn state.
But they were a beautiful off-white, very soft and knew they could become something.
This is what they became.
To be clear - I cut out the crotch immediately.

I told my newly teenaged daughter that - after she thought it was totally gross and disgusting that I was wrapping someone's old long undergarments around my neck.

She thought it was even more disgusting when I said "crotch".

I used the legs - sewing them into two tubes, then connected the tubes and finished the ends. With the extra strips (yes, from the legs - not the horrible crotch), I made ruffles and flowers. Those I glued on with liquid stitch and then add a few stitches to secure the flowers.
Eric said I "embellished the heck out of it".
Is that a compliment or and insult?
Not really sure at this point.

The big question is - will I wear it?
And the answer?
Oh yah! - cause I'm going to Maryland* in three days, baby!!!
North America - here I come!
And other than getting to see my darling friend Julie,
I get to
go to Target
eat Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia
and best of all
have a Diet Dr. Pepper each and every day that I am there!

*This is my Christmas, Birthday, Valentine's, Anniversary, St. Patrick's Day, Ground Hog day - and whatever else you can think of - gift from Eric. He told me he was sending me on a "supply run". I didn't get it at first. But I will be stocking up with many supplies such as peanut butter, taco seasoning, baking soda and about 3 bajillion other things while I am there (did you know, according to the rules of the English language, if you add "illion" on the end of any word, it becomes a real word to indicate a really high number.... just in case you didn't know).
And just so you don't worry, we are still being frugal missionaries. I'm flying on air miles that would end up being more expensive to use if we tried to use them to fly home together on furlough this summer. Just want to be clear...

3 comments:

  1. That is amazing! I would have never in a million years looked at that and thought they were long johns! Thank you so much for linking these up today :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! I would have NEVER in a million years thought to make a scarf our of long johns... for probably the same reasons your daughter thought. :) The rosettes totally make it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is absolutely GORGEOUS!
    happy day,
    Rosa

    ReplyDelete