Labels

Thursday, April 25, 2013

morning journey

After walking the kids to school this morning and working for about half an hour, my mild fever and not-so-mild-cramps called me to just go home.  As much as I didn't want to, I needed to go to Holy Mary first.  Also known as "Santa Maria".  A coworker always refers to this grocery store as Holy Mary, so I thought I'd give it a try.
Anywho, perhaps it was the fever, but I went against my better judgement and pulled out my phone on a few occasions to document the various interesting occurrences on my journey.  Bits of life that are common out here but pretty much not at all common where we're from.
Like this pedestrian over-crossing.  Parts of it were bound with caution/danger tape.  It has been like that for months.  If you look closely at the right side - that green supporting beam is no longer connected - it is rusted out or somehow severed from the part that was cemented in.  They also used the tape at the top - several meters up above traffic - but someone just tore through it and everyone still uses it - including me.  The reality is, if you want to cross the street (and it is a common thoroughfare) - a very busy street with four lanes each direction of fast moving traffic - you will just have to risk your live.  You either cross on street level and risk getting hit or you cross above and risk having the shaky and now unstable over-crossing crumble beneath you and you fall to your death.

After I bought my groceries, the goat man was there!!  I was pretty excited.  While I have seen him at a distance once before, Eric has talked about him several times.  I guess he often hangs out in the Casa G. neighborhood.  He walks around on the streets with his goats.  People will just come up to him, give him some money (we don't know the cost), and he will take out his cup, milk one of the goats, and give the milk to the customer.  The customer drinks the milk, lets out a satiated sigh, and hands the cup back to the goats milk vender.... and on they both go with the rest of their day.  Yum.

 Further on in my journey home, I finally took another picture I've been wanting to take for a while now... the liquor lady.  First, let me explain that it was about 9:05 a.m. when I took this picture.  This lady has her cart out on this side street regularly.  The cart has about 12 different liquor bottles as well as juices and flavorings.  You just go up and order your pleasure and she'll mix up your early morning cocktail (or shooter of straight liquor) right there for you.  Sometimes you get to take it with you, but sometimes you need to enjoy it right there and return the glass for the next customer.  I guess it depends on the supply of disposable tumblers.  Whatever the case, she is conveniently located



No comments:

Post a Comment