Labels

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

guanabana

Fruit #9: Guanabana

Somehow, when I was going through pictures the other day, I must have deleted my other picture of this lovely large fruit. So we are simply left with the one of it sliced open. It's really too bad because this baby has some beautiful pokey parts. Sigh.... sometimes I'm not real bright.
Guanabana, also known as soursop, is a pretty big fellow.... close to a foot long. It is a near relative to the previously mentioned cherimoya or custard apple. And it tastes pretty much like it too.... rather yummy.... actually, it is a little better, in my opinion. And looks like it, but bigger with spiky things on it (you don't want to snuggle with it). And the inside texture is like it too... sort of creamy, custardy. And the seeds are like it too.
The weird thing is that you can take one bite of it and that bite is flavorful but then the next bite has very little flavor. Odd. But the flavorful bites are definitely tasty.
Guanabana seems to be used mostly for juice (absolutely delish!) and in yogurts, ice creams and such.
It is my new favorite yogurt flavor. Definitely a need to try item!

1 comment: