Labels

Saturday, August 28, 2010

The Chronicles of Narnia

"I'm sorry," said Lucy. "You don't mean it was? How could I - I couldn't have left the others and come up to you alone, how could I? Don't look at me like that... oh well, I supposed I could. Yes, and it wouldn't have been alone, I know, not if I was with you. But what would have been the good?"
Aslan said nothing.
"You mean," said Lucy rather faintly, "that it would have turned out all right - somehow? But how? Please, Aslan! Am I not to know?"
"To know what would have happened, child?" said Aslan. "No. Nobody is ever told that."
"Oh dear," said Lucy.
"But anyone can find out what will happen," said Aslan. "If you go back to the others now, and wake them up;and tell them you have seen me again; and that you must all get up at once and follow me - what will happen? There is only one way of finding out."
"Do you mean that is what you want me to do?" gasped Lucy.
"Yes, little one," said Aslan.
"Will the others see you too?" asked Lucy.
"Certainly not at first," said Aslan. "Later on, it depends."
"But they won't believe me!" said Lucy.
"It doesn't matter," said Aslan.

This little gem is out of the second (I repeat, second book... as in the second one that you should read.... after the first one, which is The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe) book, "Prince Caspian". Once again filled with fabulous gems teaching me so much about life, Jesus, His ways and His power.
I could write for a long long time about several different things on this little section alone. There are all kinds of nuggets of goodness in here!!
The one that stands out the most to me at the moment is the last line that was quoted.

"It doesn't matter," said Aslan.

Lucy knew she needed to do something she didn't want to do because, in part, she didn't want to do alone - with out her friends, family. At first she thought she couldn't do it alone, but with one look at Aslan, she knew that she could have.
Sometimes, well, most times, it really stinks having to do the right thing when no one else will do it. Or if everyone else thinks you are crazy. Or to speak the truth when no one will believe it.
But when you know it is right, you know that He is with you and it really doesn't matter about the others. It would be great if they believed. It would be great if they followed too. It would be wonderful if they saw that you weren't crazy but believed the truth for what it is, whether it made sense to them completely or not.
Usually that doesn't happen.
Often we have to go alone.
Maybe, just maybe, later they will see, too.

Lucy said "But what would have been the good?"
That didn't matter either.
We don't need to analyze. We need to obey.
(sounds like something I tell my kids)
It is about faith.
Trusting that God has the best in mind for us even if we don't understand the reason or the possible result.
Just like I want my kids to have faith in my instructions. Because I want what is best for them. I want to protect them. They need to trust me.
I need to trust Him.
It doesn't matter what others will say. It doesn't matter what others will do.
It matters only that I
trust,
follow,
obey.

No comments:

Post a Comment