Labels

Friday, February 25, 2011

Karlita

This is why Eric does not want me to volunteer at an orphanage:
Karlita.

I think our house would be overflowing with children if I did.
(Although it is a very very long and tedious process to adopt here - which is sad because there are so many kids that need homes.)
I want to take her home.
Forever.
(Excuse the horrid picture - I took it with our cheap camera and had it set without flash - so as not to disturb the precious baby.)

I was mistaken in the previous email.
Karla is not an orphan.
Her and her four year old sister were abandoned by their mother when she was taken to jail.
I don't know how long they were alone for before someone found them.

Thankfully, they were found and brought to Casa de Fe (house of faith) orphanage.
Karla was taken to the hospital and then transfered to Quito (five hours away) because she had severe pneumonia. She was placed in ICU for a few days and then needed 24 hour assistance when moved to the regular ward.
Ladies from Youth World have been taking turns staying with her.

She is a year and a half old but is the size of a five to six month old.
Her functioning is about at a three month old - maybe less.
All this is probably do to neglect and malnutrition.
She doesn't speak. She can't even hold her head.
She has the most horrible case of diaper rash I have ever, ever, ever seen.... I don't think it could even be classified as a "rash".
And she is one of the sweetest of all of God's creation.

While her story is so sad, the saddest part is that there are so many more like it.
Yes, we hear of sad stories in North America, but they are few and far between.
Here, however, they are not uncommon.

And the stories never get easier to hear.


No comments:

Post a Comment